Wednesday 28 December 2016

Need Help with Your Hydro Bill?

Having moved to Ontario from Calgary less than a year ago, I was stunned by the high hydro bills here. Electricity cost (or outages) were never an issue in Calgary and monthly bills were around 60+ for two people in a two bed, two bath apartment. I cooked almost everyday and baked or roasted something at least once a week. The tv was usually on and we used the in-suite clothes dryer several times a week. Fast forward to my first month in Ontario. I'd moved in in the middle of August. The weather was amazing, the apartment disgustingly filthy. I was too exhausted after scrubbing and washing and mopping to cook and it was too nice to stay indoors all day so I simply got takeaway everyday (cooked food is cheap were I live). I didn't even have a tv yet. As such, I was relaxed about the hydro bill as I thought it couldn't be more than 60. Big mistake. It came up to nearly $100 for 20 days. For one person. I freaked out. Since then, I've been just charging the prerequisite computer and mobile and each time there's only one light on. But as the weather gets colder, especially with the poor insulation apartments have here, I find myself wondering whether to turn on the heating. It sucks. I miss the heating in Calgary that worked with hot water pipes running through the walls. The place was never cold and it was not a drain cost-wise like the hydro powered central heating many apartments here use.
But I'm lucky in comparison to many others in Ontario. A few days ago I came across a news story about a family in Kingston who were living in darkness as they were unable to afford the spiraling hydro rates. Their bills had increased from $140 to nearly $400 in a span of six years whilst her salary had not seen the same increase. The single mother was forced to make a choice between groceries and hydro. Groceries won and Kingston Hydro efficiently disconnected their power. Ever wondered why utility companies seem efficient only when increasing costs and disconnecting services? It's mind boggling, isn't it?
If you're on a low income and struggling with hydro bills, have a look at the Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP). If you're a single or family on a low income, you may qualify for a reduction of around $30-50 a month on your hydro bill. More information can be found by clicking on the link above.


No comments:

Post a Comment