Thursday 8 December 2016

Living and Eating in Toronto on a Budget


Urgh, everything's so expensive! Sound familiar? If Ontario had a theme song, it would probably go something like:
Oh, the bills keep going up in this province here.
Pay hydro or feed myself, how do I survive?
What does the government do about this struggle?
Oh Ontario, Ontario, why are you so expensive! 

I moved to Toronto earlier this year (2016) from Calgary to escape the dismal economy and gloomy atmosphere there.

Although Toronto is a much bigger and more developed city, job hunting has proven no less difficult here. Odd jobs are aplenty but 'professional' job hunting still feels like chasing after a unicorn - beautiful but always a dream.

After moving to Toronto, I was impressed by how much living costs weigh heavily on most people here. Hydro rates versus grocery bills; skyrocketing housing prices and rents; TTC fare hikes . . . News always seems to revolve around some cost or other.

As a relatively new migrant to the city (and country) who's still struggling to establish herself, I feel your pain.

I believe that eating and living well shouldn't be compromised because of financial constraints. Through this blog, I hope to share my experiences maximizing the money I have at least to continue to enjoy a hearty meal everyday.

Along the way, I'll throw in a story or two about my trials and tribulations thus far in my life journey. I've lived, studied and worked on several different continents and speak three major languages so hopefully it'll make for an entertaining read!

No comments:

Post a Comment